Access and Community Linkages project
The Aboriginal National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) Access and Community Linkages project facilitates direct support to community members with disability and chronic mental health condition to link into their communities while being assisted to access the NDIS.
VACCHO will support four Member Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisations (ACCOs) to employ four key Identified Aboriginal staff members, across four different regions in Victoria, known as NDIS Access and Community Linkages workers (or NACL workers).
The four regions will be:
- Loddon/Mallee (based at Swan Hill MDAS)
- Eastern Victoria (based at DDACL)
- Western Victoria (based at BADAC)
- Melbourne Metro (based at ACES)
The NDIS Access and Community Linkages workers will work across their regions, visiting Communities on a regular basis.
NDIS workers will assist in a culturally safe manner to Community members by:
- Assisting to link in with Community.
- Assisting to access the NDIS which includes:
- Collation of evidence of disability
- Help to complete NDIS access documents
- Navigating the NDIS access process
- Navigating the NDIS planning process
- Advocacy regarding NDIS access matters
- Facilitating workshops to increase Community awareness on how to get support for people with a disability or a chronic mental health condition
- Sourcing alternative supports if not eligible for the NDIS
- Coaching and mentoring to foster independence in basic life skills, self-advocacy and to manage personal affairs
- Providing general support and encouragement to Community members on their journey to getting NDIS support
- Escalating systemic issues preventing Communities from accessing the disability supports they need.
The project seeks regular input from a steering committee which will include VACCHO Members, Community members with disability, and other Community stakeholders.
Key outcomes of the project will be:
- Community members with disability can attend community events and groups on a regular basis.
- Adequate support for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people with a disability.
- Increased participation in the NDIS by the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community in Victoria.
- Increased community awareness of support frameworks for people with a disability or a chronic mental health condition.
- Community members become more independent.
For more information please contact Casey Gurry or call 03 9411 9411.