Why should I choose this course?
This course reflects the role of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people working to provide a range of non-clinical primary health care services to Aboriginal and or Torres Strait Islander clients and communities, including specific health care programs.
These workers can assume a variety of job roles and undertake a broad range of tasks either individually or as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
This qualification can lead to other higher level Aboriginal Health Worker (AHW) qualifications at Certificate IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma levels.
There are no prerequisites for admission to this course. Applications for this course are open only to people who identify as being of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent and are working in a Aboriginal Primary Health Care setting.
*Please note that courses will only run with sufficient numbers.
The duration and training delivery
The Certificate IV in Aboriginal / Torres Strait Islander Primary Health Care is delivered using a combination of face-to-face workshops that cover the essential knowledge and practical application of skills combined with study time away from the workstation, flexible self-paced learning materials, practice and demonstration on the job. The program is delivered over a period of up to 18 months.
Idividual workers are required to undertake 500 hours of supervised work placements in an Aboriginal primary health care setting, supplemented where required by simulated practical application of skills and knowledge. Individuals must demonstrate consistency of performance over time to achieve competency outcomes.
Units of Competence
14 core, 7 elective 4 prescribed and 3 determined after pre training review
- CHCLEG001 Work legally and ethically
- HLTAHW005 Work in an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander primary health care context
- HLTAHW006 Facilitate and advocate for the rights and needs of clients and community members
- HLTAHW007 Undertake basic health assessments
- HLTAHW017 Assess and support client’s social and emotional wellbeing
- HLTAHW018 Plan, implement and monitor health care in a primary health care context
- HLTAHW019 Deliver primary health care programs for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander communities
- HLTAHW021 Provide nutrition guidance for specific health care
- HLTAHW022 Address social determinants of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander health
- HLTAHW023 Plan, develop and evaluate health promotion and community development programs
- HLTAHW037 Support the safe use of medications
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid
- HLTINF001 Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
- HLTWHS001 Participate in workplace health and safety
- HLTPOP015 Provide information on smoking and smoking cessation
- CHCPRP003 Reflect on and improve own professional practice
- HLTPOP016 Provide interventions to clients who are nicotine dependant
- HLTAHW051 Respond to loss, grief and trauma
Click here for information on Credit Transfer and RPL
Click here for information on fees and funding